BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

August 17, 2010

Today's Attitude of Gratitude
As a child, my grandmother would play the piano, from it would be all these amazing old time hymns. I grew up singing them although I didn't always understand what exactly they meant. I would sing along side my Grandmother immersed in the songs.
As a teen, a few run in's with the religious establishment had me high tailing it away from church, I wanted nothing to do with these people who talked about a loving God but had evil in their hearts.
I was more comfortable hanging out with the sinners, the agnostics, the atheists... they were real and few showed the hypocrisy that I saw in the "Christian" world... but there was that little part of me that held onto the early life experiences in Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and my Grandmother's piano playing. (see Proverbs 22:6)
From around 1983 until 2004, I was lost in the desert, wandering around the same mountain, whining and bemoaning my situation, owning no personal responsibility for my life OR giving God any of the glory for my life...
2004~ my first real adult encounter with God. I got it. Somewhere inside me, it clicked. I still didn't turn my life over to the care and control of God yet. But I was getting it. I attended church, was invovled in a recovery program for people of Faith, was working on getting involved. But there were so many things that just didn't seem right to me in orgainzed religion...
Today I can see why and I thank God for His patience with me as I learned these things and learned just how blessed I am,,,

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Refrain:
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
*Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.
[*And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.]
Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.
When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings—wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.
So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

0 comments: